Monday, May 7, 2012

Mom's Spaghetti Recipe!

Sorry it has been a while since I posted a recipe!  Honestly, the past 3 months have been super busy not to mention we found out we are having our first child!  =)   Throughout the first trimester, the LAST thing I have felt like doing is COOK, let alone blog about cooking so I do apologize for the "lull."

My Plate =)
Throughout my first trimester I did not have any specific food cravings, it was more like food aversions.  Absolutely NOTHING sounded good to me, especially all of my previously vacuum-packed freezer meals that I had in the freezer!  We lived on take-out and anything my husband could put on the grill.  I wanted nothing to do with food planning!  The more I thought about a certain food, the more I didn't want it!  It was the craziest thing EVER!  One thing that I did start craving near the end of first trimester was my Mom's Spaghetti Recipe!!  It was the first thing that I actually WANTED and we cooked it together one weekend and it was SO GOOD!  I just made it again last night and I decided I needed to share this good home-cooking recipe with you!

For those of you who like to "freezer" cook like me, this recipe makes enough to serve about 6 people.  Since it is just the two of us I usually end up freezing 1/2 of it when I make a batch.  If you double it, you can freeze 3-4 meals for later!  The sauce freezes very well, and defrosts super quick!   

Mom says that her mom got this recipe from somewhere in Italy.... it is delicious!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Mom's Spaghetti
Serves 6

Sauce Ingredients:
  • (1) Large Sweet Onion Chopped
  • Large Can Diced Tomatoes (28oz)
  • Large Can Tomato Paste (10-12oz)
  • Small Can Tomato Paste (6oz)
  • 1 Tbsp Oregano
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 1/4 Cup Sugar **  Mom & I put LOTS of Sugar in our sauce-- add to your taste!*
  • 1 Cup Water
Sauce
Saute chopped onion in bottom of large saucepan with a bit of olive oil until golden brown.  Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and combine well.  Let simmer on low heat 1-1.5 hours.









"Meat" Ingredients:
Meat Mixture
  • 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
  • 2/3 Cup Milk
  • 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 3 eggs beaten
  • 4 Slices Bread (I tear apart into 1 inch cubes)
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 Tbsp Parsley
In a large bowl combine the above ingredients.  Mush & Mix until well combined.  Brown mixture in a skillet over Medium Heat until browned and cooked through.  (My dad likes a little bowl of the meat mixture to eat after it is browned... it is SO GOOD... so reserve a little bit to taste before adding it to the sauce!)

Add Meat Mixture to Sauce (after it has simmered 1-1.5 hours).  Mix well and let simmer 15 minutes.  Serve with your choice of spaghetti noodles, salad & bread!

Enjoy!




Husband's Plate =)






3 comments:

  1. Congrats on expecting!! Its a wild ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure about the large can of tomato paste? My MIL's recipe is almost the same, but I use a large can of tomato sauce and a small can of tomato paste. The meat mixture sounds good. Will try it the next time I make spaghetti. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use 28oz can of diced tomatoes, 10-12 oz can of tomato paste and 6 oz can of tomato paste =)
      I'm sure! =)

      Delete